CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

MySpace's Last Diss

A few days ago, MySpace took it upon themselves to completey change the format of the site yet AGAIN. The homepage had already been changed over five times THIS year. But, this particular change was so messy and incoherent, that you cannot even navigate around it! It's just a grey, black and white mononotonous two-column MESS. They don't even show the pictures of the users anymore. I had set my MySpace IM to OFF a long time ago and they returned it to my homepage without my permission and with no way for me to change it! Now, no matter WHERE you go on MySpace, there are these two dark grey bars on top and on the bottom of the page which act as complete eyesores to the whole site! I thought I could take off some steam by blogging, but when I saw what had happened to my beautiful blog, that was the last straw. They completely took away the design I had given it and made it plain-looking and white like everyone else's AND they took away the privacy settings!
The truth is that I LIKED MySpace! I liked MySpace even when everyone else was bitching about how much it sucks and moving on to Facebook. And MySpace definitely had a large fan base. Not as large as Facebook's, but the current Facebookers are trend followers. They would change their loyalties over social networking sites quite quickly, so it doesn't matter what they think.
MySpace should've have stayed the same for their current fans instead of pissing us off and changing everything for the new users who will never switch over to that site. But, I forgot that Papa Tom isn't the boss of MySpace anymore. Now, it's in the grubby hands of some nameless (well, they do have a name...they just don't deserve one), sexless corporation.
The FAQ answers for all that was going on were completely dismissive and totally rude. Here are some examples:


Can I go back to my old Home page?

Hey, we understand new things can take some time to get used to, but we’ve worked hard to make the Home page simpler and faster. The new Myspace Home page is based on feedback from you, our users, and is all about making it easier to keep in touch with your friends, and to see what is going on without having to jump all over the place. You can view by list or grid view, or try the play view () for an awesome way to see all the videos in your stream. Update your feed by following people or pages, and see what matters to you every time you log in.

We’re sorry if this doesn’t feel right to you just yet. But play around with the new features, and we think you will be pleasantly surprised!

(Yeah, the only feature I feel like "playing around with" now is the "Cancel Account" button.)

Why can't I use Profile 1.0 or 2.0?

If you are seeing the new Myspace, you can't use Profile 1.0 or 2.0 anymore. This is the default profile for new users going forward, and offers the most advanced design and privacy functions.


The older profile types are no longer available, though you will find all of the advanced privacy options from Profile 2.0, as well as a great new set of customization tools, in the new profile.

Navigation has been simplified, your Home page is more up-to-date, and our theme gallery makes profile design quick and easy, whether you want to use an existing design or create your own. To learn more about the new Myspace, check out our profile guide. It's never been easier to discover and share what you're into.

(Simplified? I think not. Not too mention it looks fucking HORRIBLE.)

What happened to my Home page theme?We’ve updated your Home page to make it easier for you to discover what’s happening on Myspace. So what exactly has changed?

•Home page themes are gone
•your Home page is now two columns
•My Stuff gives easier access to all your stuff (including events, photos, music, videos, etc.)
Remember, only you see your Home page, but you can customize your profile to your heart’s content to show off your style to friends.

(I really liked my homepage theme. :( )


So you see? MySpace has made it quite loud and clear what they really think of their users. They don't give two shits about us. In fact, I'm sure that the same nameless, sexless corporation which has control of it now is in league with Facebook and is attempting to make MySpace suck SO bad, that everyone will want to switch over to Facebook.
Fortunately, I'm not THAT weak-willed. :) I just had to assess what I missed the most about MySpace: Blogs, Photos, Statuses.
Well, I can't really do statuses here on Blogger. But, then again, I don't have the need to update people of my goings-on EVERY second of the day. Sure, if the feature is ever there, I'll use it. But, I won't panic if it's not. As long as I can blog, I'll be content. ;)
Anyways, here's to the OLD MySpace. The good ol' days when it was simple and user-friendly. When it was "A Place For Friends" and not a monochromatic modern techy nerd mess where people supposedly would go for "news, music and TV". I will miss the old MySpace. But, as time goes on, I'm sure that I'll get used to Blogger, make more friends on here and be content with just blogging. :) That's all I ever really did on MySpace, anyways.
R.I.P MySpace.
And to the stupid fuckface corporation who now owns it....
I hope no one ever wants to use that unholy mess you created ever AGAIN.

0 comments: